Thursday 12 January 2012

bear to swear



Any one who knows me will be able to tell you that I swear like a sailor. In fact it would probably be one of the five things that would stick out in your mind if you met me. I´m getting better with age, but letting go the ´f´word is proving to be rather difficult for me.


Society has made swearing such a taboo thing to do. I cannot tell you how many people I have had look at me in utter disgust for saying fuck in public. It is as if they have just witnessed a murder. Kids are like sponges when it comes to picking up swear words and I admit that it must have come a shock when my sister picked up her doll in play school and said "this baby has fucking crapped in her pants again" but is swearing really as bad as everyone says or makes it out to be? 


Much like any other string of letters, curse words are modes of speech that are part of the human language and research has shown that it is an under appreciated anger management technique. 


Keele University researchers Stephens, Atkins, and Kingston found that swearing relieves the effects of physical pain. Stephens said "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear" 

I am a big accidental toe stubber and I can tell you that if I yelled "oh you naughty table leg. look what you´ve done!" as opposed to "fucking hell!" it wouldn't make me feel as good and calm after the fact.


Out of all the words in the human language I struggle to find the ones that have as much versatility as what curse words do. The usage of shit for example.

You´re the shit! (authority) 
You´re in shit! (trouble)
That´s shit! (something bad)
That´s the shit! (something good)
I´ll shit myself (shock or suprise) 
and of course a single shit (poo poo)


From a pure language appreciation perspective , swear words, are actually pretty good!


I do admit not all swear words are the acceptable given the situation (I´m not about to call my work colleague a stupid cunt) but some are more acceptable than others and if you enjoy dropping the odd ´f bomb´- see where it lies on rank of unacceptability of words. 





To sum up - if you want to be mean ´cunt´should be your word of choice. Unless you are referring to a cunt splice (a type of rope for rigging ships) , cunt hair (used in the 1950´s to describe a very small piece of hair) or cunt-eyed (refers to a squint person)






 "Ain't it a shame that you can't say "Fuck"
Fuck's just a word and it´s all fucked up"


Fred Durst couldn't have said it better and fuck is just another versatile curse word that can be used as a verb, adverb, adjective, imperative, interjection, and noun. Fucked, get fucked, fucker, fuck, fuck up, fucked up, fuck with, fuck off, fuck you. It is really an all purpose word. Putting fucking before any word instantly charges the word to follow with great effect. If Jack said "I´m tired" and Jill said "I´m fucking tired" one would tend to think Jill was far more tired than Jack. 


Fuck and shit are just two out of many curse words that have built up a portion of our English language. If you chose to curse, your mouth isn't dirty, it is simply practicing the articulate form of tabooed language. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.