Wednesday 15 August 2012

traveling beans - part 5 - Malaysia

Our final stop before Australia was Malaysia. Towards the end of our trip were looking for some luxury, so decided to find a decent hotel to stay in when we got to Kuala Lumpur. Damn deceiving online hotel booking sites - what we thought was going to be a 5 star hotel of modernity ended up being a 80s type hotel with lots of orange marble and dark chip board wood. It had a hot water shower and a wicked view though.



Our first meal in Malaysia was at their equivalent to KFC - Marrybrown's. I finally had to chance to eat a curly fry!


Much like most of our nights we spent a lot of time eating and drinking Tiger beer out in the city. On our first night out we spotted a talented Chinese man sculpting clay on the streets. It was kinda like a caricature set up but you got a little clay model of yourself instead of a drawing.


After seeing his Barack Obama model , and how accurate it was, we thought we MUST pay to have one of these done!




After about two hours we were given our first only Asian souvenir, that looked nothing likes us...(well at least I hope that's not what I look like)



I always get excited to see consumer products in other countries. It interests me to see if and how they differ from country to country. Introducing! Milo! In a can!


Kuala Lumpur is much like any other big city. Loud and dirty and hot and for the most part boring. We were excited to get out of the city for a bit and go up this one famous 'must see' mountain that I can't remember the name of. Oops. We shared a cable car with a group of blind people. I don't know who was better off. The people who could or couldn't see.



After a day or two in the city we went to an island just off of Malaysia called Langkawi. Just another lovely beach with warm water and a relaxing atmosphere. It was probably the first time I felt truly relaxed knowing we didn't have to rush off to catch buses or water rafts or people stealing money, you know.


We ended off the trip with an experiment in our hotel room, we called it 'The Orb Test'. The argument had gone on long enough about whether orbs were really spirits or not (me saying that they were and Dennis saying they weren't spirits but rather dust particles that get caught in the flash) After jumping around, patting the bed and shaking my hair and dress in-front of the camera for a few hours, I finally realized that Dennis was right. Dangit! Another argument lost due to my lack of knowledge in the science department.

orbs

orbs

orbs
no orbs
Our two month South East Asia trip was coming to an end. My stomach had stayed strong the entire time! No diarrhea. No constipation (well minimal constipation). No illness of any kind. So as a gift from Asia, on my second to last day I crapped my ass out and hurled my lungs dry. I was grateful for this gift, my Asian experience wouldn't have been the same without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.